Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Trip to Austin!

The weekend of January 17th, Katelyn and I rode down to Austin with my youngest sister Brittany for a little visit. Dave had already scheduled to attend training conference that weekend, so unfortunately for him (and us!), he wasn't able to come. Brittany took that Friday off work (thanks Britt!), and we hit the road that morning!

Although we love to go to Austin whenever we can, we had a special reason for visiting this time! Some of you may know that my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer on Monday, January 5. That Friday, January 9, her surgeon performed a successful masectomy, and she has been recovering ever since....you wouldn't really be able to tell by looking at her or talking to her that she has been through such an experience though. She has an amazing faith and abiding hope in the Lord, and she understands (and makes sure others do too!) that His purposes are accomplished through whatever comes our way. I love my mom. She teaches me so much about what it means to be joyful in all things...not happy, but joyful...there's a big difference. My dad took three weeks off work to take care of her. He did a great job (and continues to, I'm sure!). My mom's first appointment with the oncologist is Feb. 5 (a week from today). They will determine a follow-up treatment plan (chemo/radiation?) at that time.

Below are a few pictures from our visit and a video of Katelyn doing one of her favorite past times with her pee paw...flag running. The video says it all!

Me, Katelyn, and MaMaw

Katelyn and MaMaw reading in the rocking chair that my sisters and I had when we were little! Thank you, Peepaw, for getting it out of the garage and cleaning it up!



Flag running with Peepaw!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Well said. I bet dad will leave a comment on here reminding you that he took three weeks off, not two.

The Scott's said...

What a sweet family! Praise the Lord for your Mom's successful surgery. Please keep us posted on how she is doing; I will keep her in my prayers.